Postgraduate English admission criteria
English competence proficiency for postgraduate by coursework and higher degree by research course
You are required to satisfy Curtin University’s English language proficiency for postgraduate by coursework and higher degree by research courses through one of the following ways. Please be advised some courses have specific and higher English requirement criteria, refer to Courses with higher English criteria page for details.
Successful completion of one semester full-time (equivalent to 0.5 EFTSL) of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree level study at a recognised university in Australia.
Successful completion of at least one year full-time of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree level study at a recognised university in Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States of America; or
Successful completion of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree from a recognised overseas university, in which English is the sole language of instruction as assessed by Curtin University.
Please refer to the English proficiency test page for further details.
The program must have been undertaken within two years of application, however, they may be used for entry until the next immediate semester intake.
Curtin University English Language Bridging (ELB or ELB Offshore, for international applicants) and English Language Enabling (ELE, for domestic applicants) with required score stated in the English competency equivalents chart. More information.
Successful completion of a recognised Australian University English Language Bridging Program one semester full-time in duration:
- To meet Curtin University’s minimum English requirements, applicants must achieve a final result comparable to at least IELTS Academic with an overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0 at the awarding University
- To meet higher English requirement (scores higher than IELTS Academic with an overall score 6.5 with no bands less than 6.0) at Curtin University, applicants must achieve the equivalent required result at the awarding institution which is comparable to the course’s specific English requirement.
Holder of current registration on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
*Satisfies the Higher English Language Proficiency requirement for Faculty of Health Sciences courses.
Successful completion of the following approved programs with the required result (if applicable) are only accepted in meeting English requirement for Undergraduate and Postgraduate coursework courses with minimum requirement i.e. IELTS Academic Overall 6.5 with no bands less than 6.0.
- Navitas English, Academic English Level 3 with a minimum grade of 65% (Formerly Australian College of English and Australian Centre for Languages). This program is currently under review.
- Phoenix Academy, Certificate IV in English for Academic Purposes (91459NSW) with a minimum grade of COM (65%). This program is currently under review.
- UTS: Insearch Academic English Level 5 (AE5) program. (Ref: 11/16); UTS: Insearch Academic English Level 6 (AE6) program is accepted in meeting Curtins English requirement of IELTS 7.0 with no less than 7.0 in each band, except for courses listed with specific requirement in Courses with higher English criteria.