Financial assistance

Curtin University and the federal government can provide financial assistance to help you to cover some of the costs associated with university study. There are several schemes available to students:


HECS-HELP is a loan scheme to assist university students to pay for their study. You are eligible for the HECS-HELP scheme if you are:

  • an Australian citizen, or;
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa

The scheme allows you to defer payment of the required student contribution for your tuition fees. Repayment is made once your salary meets or exceeds the minimum threshold. The loan is then repaid as a percentage of your wage.


The SA-HELP scheme provides financial assistance towards paying your Student Services and Amenities Fee. You may be eligible for the scheme if you are:

  • an Australian citizen, or;
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa

The loan can pay for some or all of the fee and can be added to your accumulated HELP debt.


Curtin students may be eligible for financial assistance from Centrelink. You must be an Australian resident, studying full time but your case will be assessed according to your circumstances. There are several services you may be able to claim:

  • Youth Allowance
  • Abstudy
  • Austudy
  • Rent Assistance
  • Health Care Card
  • Student Financial Supplement

Curtin Student Guild

The Guild provides a range of services and discounts to members, including bookshop grants as well as tax and budgeting advice. Students can become a member to take advantage of the many education, welfare and social services available.

Have any questions about courses, admission criteria, bridging and enabling courses or anything else Curtin related? We can answer it.