Credit for previous study or work experience

You may be able to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time by getting credit for previous study. At Curtin we grant credit for units within your course, based on your previous study or work experience. It’s called Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) – formerly known as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

CRL is awarded to all types of students, for all types of study or work experience, including:

About the different types

General/elective credit

General/elective credit may be granted on completed study or work experience. It’s applied only to a structured course. This type of credit is expressed as a total amount of credit and will appear on your plan and academic record as General or Elective.

Unit exemption

Unit exemption may be granted on the basis of equivalent study completed in a course either at Curtin or another institution, or on the basis of practical experience. This is granted against a specific unit and will appear on your plan and academic record as exempt.

Unit transfer (or automatic credit)

Unit transfer refers to the transfer of identical units from one Curtin course to another Curtin course. These units will be automatically recorded on your study plan as credited (if they are the same unit number and version). For further information about the arrangements, please contact your Student Services Office.


This is similar to unit exemption but is granted for completion of Curtin units provided by our specific articulation providers (e.g. Curtin College). The units will appear as designated on your academic record and its credit amount, grade and mark are recorded against the unit.

How to apply

To apply, you need to lodge your completed credit transfer application, along with the necessary documentation, at the time of applying to Curtin.

If you are unable to apply for CRL when submitting your course application, you should submit the forms prior to enrolment into your course of study.

1. Complete the Credit Transfer Application Form

Complete the editable PDF application form. You will need to save a copy of the document prior to sending. If you have any questions please contact the University Admission Centre on (08) 9266 7805.

2. Attach necessary documentation (proof of your prior learning)

For an outline of the documentation requirements please refer to the Supporting Documentation Guidelines on the application form.  Ensure that any certified documents you attach conform to the University Admission Centre Certification Guidelines [.pdf – 237kB]

3. Submit your application to the University Admission Centre

Submit your application to the University Admission Centre by email:

Alternatively, if you have applied for your course online through APPLY NOW you can upload your completed CRL form and documentation to that application.

We endeavour to process Applications for Credit Transfer promptly. A longer period may be applicable where full recognition of prior learning assessment is required, particularly at peak admission and enrolment times.

Note: If you are a current student seeking CRL for a unit in which you are currently enrolled, you must lodge your application for unit exemptions at least three weeks before the commencement date of the study period you are enrolled. If your application is not submitted, processed and approved by the census date you will be liable for the cost of those units.

Important notes before you apply:

  • Not all forms of CRL are applicable to all programs offered. For example, where there are no electives in a major, no electives can be granted. Please refer to the Policy and Processes Information on page 4 of the Application for Credit Transfer form.

Special notes for Curtin Business School applicants:

  • Accounting majors: Unless specified, the CRL noted in the CRL search may not apply to Accounting majors. The School of Accounting advises that by granting CRL from particular units, graduates are not guaranteed that all requirements of CPA Australia or other professional bodies will be met. Where an applicant produces awards containing exemptions for prior qualifications, the School of Accounting will have to determine CRL for our degree on a case by case basis in line with CPA requirements.

CRL application deadlines

The deadline dates below apply to Domestic students. This applies to all students who are new to Curtin; are current students; are students who have course-switched and those who are currently enrolled in units.

All applications must be received by the deadline date to be considered. CRL is administered by the University Admission Centre, and it is highly recommended you send your complete application and supporting documentation by email to The deadline also applies to any unit(s) which you are enrolled or are intending to enrol into, for the upcoming study period. Applications received after this date will not be actioned.

If this application is not submitted in sufficient time to be assessed and processed prior to the census date of any enrolled units for which you are requesting Credit Transfer then you will still be liable for any fees or debt for the enrolled unit/s.

Please be aware, if your CRL application requires academic assessment there may be a longer waiting period.

Semester 1, 2017

Undergraduate and Postgraduate coursework students – Friday 3 March 2017

Semester 2, 2017

Undergraduate and Postgraduate coursework students – Friday 4 August 2017

Please note:
If you are an International or Open Universities Australia (OUA) student, please contact the relevant area for deadline dates. Application deadlines are subject to change.

Vocational courses and credit agreements

We have agreements with some vocational institutions to offer specific credit
for some courses. You may be entitled to credit toward the completion of a related Curtin course.

Have any questions about courses, entry requirements, alternative pathways or anything else Curtin related? We can answer it.