English proficiency tests
- The test must have been undertaken within two years of application, however, they may be used for entry until the next immediate semester intake.
- The required scores stated in the following table will satisfy Curtin’s minimum English criteria for Undergraduate or Postgraduate by coursework courses. Some courses have specific and higher English criteria, refer to Courses with higher English criteria page for details.
- Changes to the IELTS (Academic) requirement to the following courses:
- Bachelor of Commerce (except Double Degrees);
- Bachelor of Business Administration;
- Engineering UG and PG degrees by coursework (except Double Degrees);
- Bachelor of Technology (Computer Systems and Networking);
- Bachelor of Science (Actuarial Science);
- Bachelor of Science (Science).
Refer to the English Competency Equivalents Chart for the approved English Language Proficiency test scores.
|Accepted English proficiency tests||Minimum criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate by coursework courses|
|IELTS (International English Language Test) Academic Test||Listening 6.0
Overall score 6.5
|PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English)||Listening 50
Overall score 58
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and iBT (Internet Based Test)||Reading 13
Overall score 79
|TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and PBT (Paper Based Test)||570 and 4.5 in TWE|
|Occupational English Test (OET)||Test taken from September 2018:
Calculated average score of all components 300
Test taken prior to September 2018:
Formerly known as Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
|176 with 169 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.|
Formerly known as Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
|190 with 176 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.|
|Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) Written English section where only the Written English component was taken, results are valid for two years from the date of testing, however maybe used for entry until the next immediate semester intake.||STAT format from 1 May 2010: 140
Previous STAT format between 1996 to April 2010: 145
|Germany DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst)||B2 (4 stars) in meeting minimum English (i.e. IELTS 6.5 with no band less than 6.0); or with C 1 (5 stars) in meeting higher English criteria.|
Please contact Admissions Office for further information.